Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Turkey - the Ottoman village of Cumalikizik

When our guide, Yucel, said we were visiting the last existing Ottoman village in Turkey, I was MORE than thrilled!

Cumalikizik, located 10km east of Bursa, has 270 historical houses in its village and 180 are still being lived in, while others are being restored.

As we walked up the cobblestone streets, a lovely woman beckoned us and made us Turkish pancakes and we had tea. It was one of the most beautiful things I will remember.

I saw a table where a lady was selling antiques and noticed she had a plate full of different currencies..I am sure from all the tourists who have come seen this jewel of a place. I opened my wallet, knowing I had some Philippines Pesos tucked away for my taxi ride home when I would return to Manila, and gave her 50 to add to her plate.

Then she did the most precious thing - she picked up an OLD 50,000 Turkish Lira and gave it me. bless her heart.

I will always treasure it and my time in Cumalikizik...











No comments:

Post a Comment